Being responsible



I was lucky enough to be part of a conversation recently in which people from different organisations were sharing their personal views about their various workplaces. This is one of the real upsides to my job. This was a multinational group working across different sectors and the threads of the conversation were many and varied, yet what stood out for me against all the statements and opinions about how different our organisations were was one thing upon which everyone in the room seemed to be agreed - namely that it's a 'bad thing' to exhibit vulnerability in the workplace.

A bad thing.

No one appeared to be too bothered by this and the conversation soon moved on. But for me the apparent confirmation that we can simply accept that organisations create, allow or somehow foster these predatory moments hung heavily in the pit of my stomach with a nauseous pang. The frown and bad feeling that I was left with has taken a few days to work it's way out of me in the form of this blog entry.

One of my drivers is harmony. I like it when people get along well. Luckily for me, this appears to happen most of the time. Sure, there are times when it doesn't but I can adapt to cope with some of these. My nature is such that if people appear to be frail, in discomfort, or vulnerable, then it is in my normal nature to want to help. To my mind there is nothing fancy about this, it's just part of being kind. The people I was in conversation with last week all appeared to be kind people, showing genuine concern and interest in others. Yet it appears that many of us work in organisations where, by our own confession, vulnerability is seen as a form of weakness which, instead of being met with kindness, is predated upon.

My mind is still churning over this and my inquiry is still open. What's going on here? Is it our thinking that those of us who show vulnerability in the workplace will really fall victim to some predatory minded evil doers in the organisation? Or is it simply the fear that we may be predated upon if we are seen not to be strong? Is our strength an all important facade that cannot be seen to crumble? A weakspot in our positive mental attitude that might expose us for who we really are? If so what is that costing us in terms of allowing ourselves to be vulnerable? I wish I knew, and I wish I knew just how accepting I really am about all of this (possibly very, as I am as caught up in this facade as anyone).

Many people tell me they want they want their workplaces to be more fun. They want to see more smiles. I'd wager that few of them want to work in organisations where it is OK to be predatory. Yet somehow this is a reality that we have been able to co-create.

If we allow our organisational environment to feel predatory then what additional costs does that bring? What does this say for us as humans? If we accept that we have responsibility for co-creating our environment and our work organisations then who is it that is creating this culture of fear if it isn't us? We must accept that we have a responsibility in all of this. It is our behaviour, our action and our leadership that creates the organisational dynamic. If we want the organisation to change to a place where we see less fear then we must start with reassessing our own behaviours. Be less predatory. Allow humility, support the vulnerable. Just be a 'good person'. Being a 'good person' isn't a label that only has meaning in our private lives. Being a good person in the workplace may be even more meaningful, and may help to develop the sorts of organisations that we might actually want our children to work in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Off and running...

Critical Incident Timeline. Are you prepared?

Getting started with delegation